Day 12 - November 22nd, 2007 - Sahara Desert to Cairo

Woke early as sky was starting to lighten up.  Got camera and headed back up rock outcropping.  I took a different route this time.  Not sure if it was the cold air, lack of good sleep or what, but the climb took a lot out of me, was really gasping near the top.

Found a spot near the flat top, but not on it.  Had a great view of the sun rising.


After that I climbed down and took more photos of rocks and dunes.


Finally walked back to camp and just like last nights sunset, the falcon of Horus came across the sky and over the suns disk.  This place is somewhat magical.  I could spend a week here doing nothing and leave feeling full.


Back at camp I had a cup of hot tea and then breakfast was served.  Pita bread, various toppings (I just used the white cheese) and an egg omelet.

While the guide and driver ate, I wrote in here.

After breakfast was done, I walked up one of the nearby dunes and sat and played with the sand while the others took down the camp.


When done we started back.  Going was tough at first, at one point with the truck in 4 low, it was just creeping along in the sand.  We actually got out of the truck and walked along with it till it started to get better traction.

Yes, it is moving.  No, no one is at the wheel.

The ride back was really rough and some nice areas to get over.


Once back to the road we headed up the hill.  Stopped for a bit with a view of the Lower Rayan lake.  Found some more coin like rocks to keep.

Lower Rayan lake.

*While on rocks near camp I found a large coin like rock, fossil nautilus, chunk of mica that I snuck into bag to take home.*

We drove down to the water falls between the lakes.  Walk from lot to falls is about 1/2 mile.  The locals go out into the desert and find fossil shark teeth.  They sell them to tourists.  Supposed to be legal, but not sure.  Went ahead and bought 2 teeth for 100 Egyptian pounds.  The guy then came up later and gifted me a third.

The water falls were small, only about 10-20 feet.  The farthest I could not see well and did not want to fight crossing the stream to get to it.  The near falls was a double.  Not a bad one, just not a fantastic one.


Once down we headed back to car.  I stopped to use toilet (had to go #2) and found they were the kind of toilet that is just a small hole in floor that you squat over!!!  That and no toilet paper made for a very ugly and disgusting event, but had no choice.

After that "experience" we drove on toward Cairo.  Around the lake shore of Lake Qarun we got caught in a big traffic jam up near a local market.  Took forever to get out.

The trip back was normal.  Did get a nice view of the Giza pyramids from road.  Traffic in town was busy as usual.  Asked them to drop me off at the Sheraton so I would not have to walk the 2 blocks with my bags.

Found the reception desk.  Then took a bit of time to condense everything into the bags.

Got checked in and found room.  On the 13th floor looking south and also in the corner.  So had a good view to the east as well.  Could see the Nile with ease and even had a view of the Giza pyramids and also those at Saqqara way in the distance.

View looking southeast from hotel balcony.

Took a good shower and washed everything that I had been wearing in the desert.  Put them out on the balcony to dry and then cleaned the sand out of the camera and bag.  Repacked main bag, ate my Pringles left over from Alexandria and then wrote in here.

Laid down on bed to stretch out and fell asleep.  Down for about an hour.  Woke up and checked on clothes.  They were dry (except socks).  Brought them in and then took a few sunset photos.  Once sun was down, I put on pants and shirt and got things ready to go out to dinner.  Will leave in about an hour and walk across to the island and go to the Buddha Bar.



Spent the hour watching some movie on TV.  Then walked across the bridge to the El Gizerah Hotel where the Buddha Bar is located.  Got there just before 6:00 p.m. only to find they do not open till 7:00 p.m.  Spent the hour walking and sitting along the rivers edge on the hotel garden.  Also spent the last of that hour on the 3rd floor overlook of the main lobby listening to the string quartet playing classical music.

Finally got into the Buddha Bar.  Place looks really nice, 2 stories, lounge up top, dining down below.  Giant Buddha statue rising both levels high.  Had to wait just a few moments to get seated.

Was sat near a window so could watch the Nile go past.  Ordered a bottle of Evian water (35 Egyptian pounds) and drank just that.  Had calamari (120 Egyptian pounds) and wok cooked beef with basil (140 Egyptian pounds).  For dessert a chocolate fudge cake with hazelnut topping (60 Egyptian pounds).  Final bill was 438 Egyptian pounds.  OUCH!  Left an 11 Egyptian pound tip.  Low, but service was overly attentive, bothered me having 3-4 people standing watch while I ate.  While it was a nice place, food was excellent, music good, I felt let down overall.  Not sure what I expected?  The cost was really high.  The food is all Asian, with a large sushi selection.

After paying my bill, I stopped in a little shop to see what the CD's cost.  Way too much - 375 Egyptian pounds.  Almost twice what I pay in the states.

Left and walked back to the hotel Sheraton.  Changed and wrote in here before watching TV and going to bed.  Nice to have an evening with no rushing around or early wake up the next day.  Though I already miss the company I had gotten used to while with the tour group.

Oh, today was Thanksgiving, so now that I recall that, the cost of dinner is not so bad.

*Note more curiosity on the driving in Egypt.  Many drive with no headlights in town, only flashing them to alert other cars or at blind intersections.  Kind of strange, but again the system seems to work.*

*Note on the differences of water taxi's between Cairo and those in towns of upper Egypt.  While the boats in Luxor and Aswan were simple, only having some paint designs, nice cushions and a few things hanging from the roof, the boats in Cairo have all that plus lots of decorative lights, signs and loud music playing.  Shows the difference in lifestyles between the regions.*

No comments:

Post a Comment